Ask Brook is a service giving sexual health information, support and signposting for anyone under 25, anywhere in the UK.
Ask Brook is made up of three things:
* Please note: * We are currently experiencing technical issues with the webchat, which means that sometimes the connection can be lost during the webchat. If this happens, you can also text Ask Brook on 07717 989 023 (standard SMS rates).
Webchat and text are available between 9am and 3pm, Monday to Friday (except bank holidays). You can access the Ask Brook 24/7 tool anytime, day or night, here.
You can contact an advisor by text on 07717 989 023 (standard SMS rates). For webchat, look for the blue tab in the bottom right-hand corner of your screen.
Ask Brook is confidential. That means we won’t tell anyone you’ve contacted us unless we think you are in really serious danger. You can read about privacy and confidentiality, here.
Brook is a member of Helplines Partnership . Helplines Partnership is the membership body for organisations that provide helpline services in the UK and internationally. This means you can be confident that the help and support you receive via Ask Brook is delivered by people who are trained specifically for this service and operate in a secure and confidential environment.
- A Brook advisor can talk to you about all sorts of sexual health and relationship issues, but they will not be able to give you medical advice
- When a Brook advisor is available you’ll see a tab with the words 'click to chat to an advisor' at the bottom of this page. When you click on this tab, you’ll be required to fill in a few details to begin a live webchat session
- We aim to get to each enquiry as quickly as possible, but if all of our advisors are busy you may find that you have to wait for a few minutes
- If you find you’re waiting too long, you could try again later, use the Ask Brook 24/7 tool or explore our pages on contraception, STIs, pregnancy, abortion, relationships and sex, abuse and violence, sexuality and gender
- You will never be disconnected by a Brook advisor unless the conversation has clearly ended – so if you lose connection unexpectedly, please do try to get back in touch with us and say you were disconnected, as you may have missed important information that we were not able to give you
- Please note, conversations may be recorded for training and quality purposes but we will never store personal information that could be used to identify you
- If you have questions about sex or relationships, you can text Ask Brook on 07717 989 023 (standard SMS rates) at any time but please note, we can only respond during the Ask Brook opening hours of 9am and 3pm, Monday to Friday
- By texting your question to Ask Brook (07717 989 023) you are beginning a text chat with an advisor. We aim to answer all text messages within two working days
- This is a confidential service and will not show up on your bill
The Ask Brook telephone helpline is now closed. We encourage you to contact us by webchat or text as described above and if you need urgent help outside of our opening hours, you can contact one of the organisations listed below.
If you need help urgently
- For medical advice contact NHS 111 by dialling 111 or NHS 24 (Scotland) on 08454 242424. These helplines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- For help if you’re under 18 contact Childline on 0800 1111
- For urgent emotional support contact the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90
- The Sexual Healthline 0300 123 7123.
If you need emergency contraception you can get this from the following places. You can look for opening hours and whether they provide emergency contraception on the NHS choices website.