Ask Brook is a text and webchat service giving sexual health information, support and signposting for all young people under 25 anywhere in the UK.
You can contact an advisor by text on 07717 989 023 (standard SMS rates) and by webchat. Ask Brook is available between 9am and 3pm, Monday to Friday (except bank holidays).
Ask Brook is confidential. That means we won’t tell anyone you’ve contacted us unless we think you are in really serious danger. You can read about privacy and confidentiality,
- A Brook advisor can talk to you about all sorts of sexual health and relationship issues, but they will not be able to give you medical advice.
- When a Brook advisor is available you’ll see a green ‘advisor online’ icon at the top of this page. When you click on this icon, you’ll be required to fill in a few details to begin a live chat session.
- We aim to get to each enquiry as quickly as possible, but if all of our advisors are busy you may find that you have to wait for a few minutes.
- If you find you’re waiting too long, you could try again later or explore our sections on contraception, STIs, pregnancy, abortion, relationships and sex, abuse and violence, sexuality and gender.
- You will never be disconnected by a Brook advisor unless the conversation has clearly ended – so if you lose connection unexpectedly, please do try to get back in touch with us and say you were disconnected, as you may have missed important information that we were not able to give you.
- Please note, conversations may be recorded for training and quality purposes but we will never store personal information that could be used to identify you.
- If you have questions about sex or relationships, you can text Ask Brook on 07717 989 023 (standard SMS rates) at any time but please note, we can only respond during the Ask Brook opening hours of 9am and 3pm, Monday to Friday.
- By texting Ask Brook you are beginning a text chat with an advisor. We aim to answer all text messages within one working day.
- This is a free, confidential service and will not show up on your bill.
The Ask Brook helpline is now closed. We encourage you to contact us by webchat or text as described above and if you need urgent help outside of our opening hours, you can contact one of the organisations listed below.
If you need help urgently
If you need help quickly you can contact these organisations:
- For medical advice contact NHS 111 by dialling 111 or NHS 24 (Scotland) on 08454 242424. These helplines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- For help if you’re under 18 contact Childline on 0800 1111
- For urgent emotional support contact the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90
- The Sexual Healthline 0300 123 7123.
If you need emergency contraception you can get this from the following places. You can look for opening hours and whether they provide emergency contraception on the NHS choices website.