• Help & Advice
  • Find a Service
    Close icon

More services

Brook Manchester

I need PrEP or PEP

If you’re at risk of HIV or find it difficult to use condoms every time, you can use PrEP (HIV Pre-exposure Prophylaxis). PrEP is a pill you can take before sex that offers near complete protection from HIV.

If you’ve had unprotected sex with someone who is HIV positive within the last 72 hours, it is possible to take anti-HIV medication called PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) which may stop you becoming infected. The sooner it’s taken, the more effective it is.

More about PrEP and PEP

Where can I get PrEP and PEP?

The Northern Sexual Health Service provides both PrEP and PEP.

I need HIV treatment or support

You can get HIV treatment from The Northern Sexual Health Service.

The George House Trust offers free and confidential support, advice and advocacy services for people living with HIV.

I’m looking for LGBT+ support

LGBT Foundation offer support to the LGBT+ community in Manchester including counselling, sexual health testing, social and support groups, drugs and alcohol support interventions, community safety initiatives, and befriending. They also have a helpline: 0345 3 30 30 30

I’m experiencing pain or have genital ulcers

If you are experiencing any of the following, it’s really important you get urgent help:

  • Genital ulcers
  • Pain in testicles
  • Pain in vulva and/or lower abdomen

You need to visit the Northern Sexual Health Service as soon as possible or phone 111.

I’ve experienced sexual assault

Sexual assault is any sexual act that a person did not consent to, or is forced into against their will. It is a form of sexual violence and includes rape (an assault involving penetration of the vagina, anus or mouth with a penis), or other sexual offences, such as groping, forced kissing or child sexual abuse.

More about sexual assault and violence

You can report the assault to police by calling 999 or 101. A specially trained officer will speak to you about what has happened and will arrange for an Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA) to support and guide you through the prosecution process. Sexual assault is traumatic and it can sometimes take a while until you feel able to talk about it. Even if the assault happened a long time ago, you can still report it.

If someone you know has been raped or sexually assaulted, it can be a very distressing and confusing time for you both. You can help to support the person who has been assaulted by:

  • Making it clear that you are there for them.
  • Helping them understand what their options are and what happens next.
  • Accompanying them, if it is safe to do so, to a SARC or police station nearest to them (if they want to report it to the police – this is entirely their choice and they shouldn’t feel pressured).
  • Listening to them and supporting them through the recovery process.

Try not to feel upset if they don’t want to talk to you about what has happened – sexual violence can be very difficult to discuss, even with someone you trust.

It is important to support them to take whatever action they want to take, which might be nothing, in their own time as they feel able to do so and not to rush them into getting help.

Worried about a child?

If you’re worried about a child, even if you’re unsure, contact the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000 for help, advice and support.

Where can I get support after sexual assault/violence?

Sexual violence is a crime, no matter who commits it or where it happens. Whatever has happened, there are places and people who can support you – you are not on your own.

Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARCs)

SARCs offer medical, practical and emotional support for anyone who has experienced sexual violence. They can help with pregnancy and STI testing, medical help for any injuries and can do a forensic medical examination.

St Mary’s Centre is a Sexual Assault Referral Centre for Greater Manchester. You can self-refer to their service directly by phoning them on 0161 276 6515

Find out more about St Mary’s SARC

Find my nearest SARC

Outreach and education

If you are a professional, take a look at our outreach and education offer in Manchester.

Brook has been commissioned by Manchester City Council to offer free Relationships and Sex education (RSE) workshops to young people in secondary schools and colleges, as well as free professionals training for organisations wanting to support young people condom distribution.

Browse Brook’s education offer in Manchester

I need help with something else

Brook Manchester is unable to offer 24/7 support, if you need urgent help, there are places you can go and organisations that can help.

I need urgent help

If you are looking for general support or information, you can view our help and advice pages. We also have a list of help and support organisations relating to different topics and support areas.

View help and support organisations